In Englisch In Italiano Auf Deutsch
Dom Pielgrzyma im. Św. Józefa
Dołącz do nas na Facebook'u
Sobota IX tygodnia Okresu Zwykłego
2 Tm 4,1-8; Mk 12,3 8-44
pldeiten

History

 

1155

Prince Mieszko III the Old funds a collegiate church under the invocation of Saint Paul. The above erection is evidenced in a breve of 22nd January 1218 (Honorius III).

1193

Mieszko III the Old donates a silver Romanesque paten to the collegiate.

1353

Archbishop Jarosław Bogoria Skotnicki funds a church under the invocation of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (the presbytery, sacristy, and chapterhouse have remained until today).

1363

A silver (gold-plated) Gothic chalice is donated by Casimirus the Great.

circa 1670

Stobienia, an inhabitant of the village called Szulec, funds a painting of the Holy Family as a votive offering for healing and he places it in the Kalisz collegiate church.

1673

The first record of an unusual grace received by Stanisław Bartochowski (the heir of Błaszki) through Saint Joseph is written down.

1758

Prince Jędrzej Ogiński (the voivode of Trakai) donates silver robes and gold crowns for the painting, which is now placed in a special chapel built beforehand.

1767

The primate’s consistory called by Archbishop Władysław Aleksander Łubieński recognizes the painting as benevolent (imago gratiosa).

1770

Archbishop Gabriel Jan Junosza Podolski recognizes the painting as miraculous (imago miraculosa).

1783

(31st May)
Pope Pius VI crowns a copy of the painting of Saint Joseph in Rome and issues a decretal allowing the coronation of the original painting in Kalisz.

1783

The collegiate church collapses.

1792

A part of the collegiate church is rebuilt in the late Baroque style.

1796

(15th May)
Coronation of the miraculous painting in Kalisz by the suffragan of Gniezno, Bishop Michał Kościesza Kosmowski delegated by the Holy See.

1818

The Diocese of Kujawy-Kalisz is established (Saint Joseph becomes its patron in 1880).

1870

Pope Pius IX proclaims Saint Joseph the patron of the universal Church.

1896

Celebrating 100 years’ anniversary of the coronation.

1945

Miraculous liberation from the Dachau concentration camp through the intercession of Saint Joseph of Kalisz.

1962

Pope John XXIII donates a ring to the Shrine of Saint Joseph and introduces the name of Saint Joseph into the Canon of the Holy Mass.

1969

The Bishop of Włocławek, Jan Zaręba founds the Polish Josephological Society in Kalisz.

1970

The priests who were former Dachau prisoners fund the Chapel of Martyrdom and Gratitude. To mark this occasion Pope Paul VI donates a chalice to the Shrine.

1978

Pope Paul VI gives the collegiate the title of Minor Basilica.

1983

(2nd/3rd October)
The robes and the crown are stolen from the Miraculous Painting in a ‘sacrilegious theft’.

1985

(22nd - 29th September)
The fourth International Josephological Congress takes place in Kalisz.

1985

(29th September)
The second coronation of the Miraculous Painting.

1992

(22nd March)
Pope John Paul II establishes the diocese of Kalisz by issuing the bull entitled “Totus Tuus Poloniae Populus”.

1993

(20th April)
A thanksgiving pilgrimage to Rome where the Holy Father blesses a copy of the painting of Saint Joseph.

1993

(10th June)
The Diocesan Seminary of Kalisz is founded; its patron is Saint Joseph, the Guardian of the Holy Church.

1993

(7th October)
John Paul II issues a breve in which (in reference to the painting of Saint Joseph) he proclaims Saint Joseph, the Betrothed of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Saviour’s Guardian the patron of the diocese of Kalisz.

1994

(17th April)
The opening of the peregrination of the painting’s copy across the diocese of Kalisz.

1995

(29th April)
Poland celebrates 50 years in peace after World War II. In Kalisz the thanksgiving celebrations take place with 57 bishops in attendance.

1996

(3rd June)
The closing of the peregrination of the painting’s copy across the diocese.

1996-1997

(15th May 1996 - 15th May 1997)
Jubilee Year – 200th anniversary of the coronation of the painting.

1997

(4th June)
Pope John Paul II visits the Shrine of Saint Joseph. He celebrates the Holy Mass and delivers a homily at the square next to the basilica. The Pope also blesses the Diocesan Seminary of Kalisz.

1998

(4th June)
The first anniversary of the Holy Father’s visit to Kalisz. The Holy See publishes a document proclaiming Saint Joseph the patron of Kalisz.

1999

(4th June)
The second anniversary of the Holy Father’s visit; the monument to John Paul II is blessed at Saint Joseph’s square.

2000

The reconstruction of a flẻche on the roof of the church, which was shot down by the German soldiers during the war.

2001

(14th September)
Rev. Msgr. Lucjan Andrzejczak, the curator of the Shrine passes away.

2001

(1st October)
The bishop of Kalisz, Stanisław Napierała appoints Rev. Dr. Jacek Plota a parish priest and a curator of the Shrine.

2001-2002

A thorough renovation of the Polyptych by Master of Gościszowice.

2002

(19th March)
The bishop of Kalisz institutes perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in The Chapel of the Miraculous Painting.

2002

A new cross is installed on a gilded sphere on the steeple of the church.

2003

The inauguration of the 700th founding anniversary of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish / the Shrine of Saint Joseph.

2003

Missions of Divine Mercy take place and the relics of Saint Faustina are brought into the Shrine.

2004

The historic buildings next to the basilica are extended for the purpose of hosting pilgrims.

2004

Bringing the relics of Saint Joan Beretta Molla. The beginning of monthly prayer gatherings to pray for the families and conceived life protection; they are transmitted by TRWAM television channel and Radio Mary.

2005

A visitation of the icon “Sedes Sapientiae” – Mother of God, Seat of Wisdom – a gift from Pope John Paul II to the whole academia in the world.

2005

Placing new showcases with votive offerings in Saint Joseph’s aisle.

2005

Granting the title of the Honorary Prelate of His Holiness to the curator and parish priest Rev. Dr. Jacek Plota.

2005

A Holy Mass at Saint Joseph’s Square – Kalisz has a last farewell with Pope John Paul II – on the eve of the funeral over 20 thousand worshippers participate (including the town’s authorities, MPs, and mayors of the boroughs within the diocese of Kalisz).

2005

Bringing the relics of the Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

2005

Installing new stained glass windows in the presbytery of the Basilica depicting the Mother of God and Saint Joseph (the figures are modelled after the Miraculous Painting of the Holy Family placed in the Chapel of the Miraculous Painting).

2006

Bringing the relics of Saint Padre Pio.

2006

A thorough restoration of the historic stalls in the presbytery of the Basilica.

2006

The first nationwide Radio Mary Family Meeting at Saint Joseph’s Shrine with 8 thousand pilgrims in attendance.

2006-2009

Extending another parish building for the purpose of setting up a Pilgrims Guest House.

2007

Renovation of the historic stalls in the presbytery and the clock on the church tower. The twenty -fifth anniversary of Rev. Dr. Jacek Plota’s priestly ordination.

2008

Refurbishment of the elevation on the historic bell tower and the church buildings.

2009

(27th September - 4th October)
International Josephology Congress.